November 10, 2008

You've Got Mangos

What is it about certain movies that just puts you in a good mood? You could and have watched them a hundred times. When Hannah was 17 or so we bought the movie You've Got Mail. It is set in New York City, has a fabulous, quirky soundtrack and it goes through three seasons of the year.....fall, winter, then spring. We used to put that movie on to play whenever we were home and felt You've Got Mailish....which was a lot. A friend borrowed it and kept it for months! MONTHS! I finally got tired of asking for it back and went to get it. ha

We quote parts of the movie and it never gets old. "My head is starting to get ....fuzzy." "I love daisies. They're so friendly. Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?" "I'm going to get eucalyptus candles cuz it makes my apartment smell Moss-ay." and of course, "Don't cry, Shopgirl. Don't cry."

But lately I've latched on to an odd sounding quote. "I hope your mango's ripe."

Meg Ryan says it at a place in the movie where her feelings for this strange man are turning from loathing to friendly affection. And it struck me lately that what it means really is "I think I like you." "Thank you for being in my life." or even "Love ya." She says it while saying goodbye to him after a 'chance' meeting and it gets her through an awkward moment of not knowing how to give this time a benediction...because it was a turning pont.

You never really know about mangos, whether they are ripe or not. When they are just on the verge, but not really ripe it is a bitter mango and just turned ripe it is very sweet and smooth. (maybe like life) It is hoping for the best for a person in a very quirky way. I was trying to explain it to Hannah the other day and I've decided it's about the best little quote in the movie. And now you know it too. I looked for that scene from the movie on youtube, but it wasn't there. So...

I guess you'll just have to watch it now.....

2 comments:

Susannah said...

I love that movie, and I love mangos too. What a great combination! :~D

Anonymous said...

mmmm, mangos. That's all I can think of right now. Might have to buy one tomorrow, they're just coming into season here.