November 23, 2008

Those sneaky holidays

Did you notice it is the holiday season all of a sudden? I just realized it. I am feeling a little panicky about Christmas things to be done, but Thanksgiving is covered I think. (I hope) It shnuck up on me this year while life was quickly rambling by. All of a sudden I began seeing commercials for holiday things, a local radio station here is starting their '24-7 Christmas music' early....I think that is not supposed to start until the day after Thanksgiving! But there it was, starting a week before Thanksgiving. I tried to listen to the music the other day, but had to turn it to my regular station as I reached for the air conditioning button in my car. HIGH 80's, blazing sun on my skin, perspiration gathering under my hair. There was no way I was going to listen to carols.

Maybe we are all a little weary of regular life and need to see the holiday season in sight to give us a little hope, a little something to look forward to. I am just hoping that we can turn off the air conditioner some day in the near future. I'm wondering if I will EVER get used to how warm it is here during the fall. It's not helping my holiday mood at all and gee whiz, I do need help this year.

I am so thankful that there is always something, SomeONE to celebrate each year, no matter how good or tragic our year has been. Can you imagine Christmas without Christ or Thanksgiving without Someone to be thankful to? God is a constant in our life. Always there, always faithful, always blessing us.

There comes a point each holiday season when these truths start to brighten my heart and mind. (Then no matter how warm it is, I can listen to the carols and they bring joy.) The way it is ordered is so right. Thanksgiving gives us a season to ponder the things we are thankful for and then begins the biggest celebration of the year, celebrating the Incarnation, then comes New Year's Day, a chance to begin again, a restarting. So this year I'm taking time to really mull over the ways I am blessed and give thanks to God. There is always so much to celebrate and be thankful for when we really take a good look.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Yup, the holidays have snuck up on me too. :~D

I'm encouraged by this thought: I am so thankful that there is always something, SomeONE to celebrate each year, no matter how good or tragic our year has been. Can you imagine Christmas without Christ or Thanksgiving without Someone to be thankful to? God is a constant in our life. Always there, always faithful, always blessing us.

Bless you Christie! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :~D