March 19, 2009

Croutons

I am enjoying my Spring Break from work. I took the kids to my sister's cabin for a couple of days and am now home and doing whatever I please for a few days. I am feeling really good now, but my projects for Spring Break still are on hold. This morning I took the baguettes I had neglected and made croutons out of them. So I thought I'd share.

Cut your bread into bite sized pieces. Save all the crumbs....they are good to sprinkle on salads too! My bread was thoroughly dried out, but it still made great croutons. I usually bake croutons on very low heat in the oven until they are toasted, but today I did them in a skillet. One reason was that they needed freshening up since they were rock hard. The other reason is that it will be in the 90's this afternoon and I didn't want to heat up the oven. First spread a tiny bit of olive oil in the skillet, add the cubes and crumbs, stir them to get the oil around and then add some spices. I usually sprinkle garlic salt on croutons as I make them, but I am trying to avoid a lot of salt, so today I used this salt free seasoning:


It is full of dried garlic and onions, along with lots of sesame seeds, a little pepper and parsley. The process toasts the sesame seeds and gives great flavor to the croutons.


Stir croutons every few minutes for about 7 minutes on medium heat. Then transfer to a paper towel until cooled off. Keep in an airtight container or ziplok bag.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

joannmski said...

90 degrees in March! Wah.

mmichele said...

mmmm

i love homemade croutons.