February 20, 2009

The stone of contention

....and it really is a con·ten·tion.

(kn-tnshn) n.
1. The act or an instance of striving in controversy or debate.
2. A striving to win in competition; rivalry:
The teams met in fierce contention for first place.
3. An assertion put forward in argument.

There is a fight I have been contending in for about 21 years now. After the birth of our first daughter, Hannah, I began having seriouser, seriouser pains in my side. A girlfriend in NJ once saw me digging my right fist into my side. She said, "Oh you have kidney stones, don't you?" I was shocked. "I have no idea!" I said. She gave me her Urologist's name and that was the beginning of a very long, very arduous battle. Three lithotripsies and one shrinking kidney later, I have learned to live with them (until I actually have big ones again, mostly after each pregnancy) and loath them.

For a few years now I have only had minor annoyances with the evil things (the stones). But on Monday the boulders (yes) raised their heads above the peaceful scenery and attacked full force. A disguised attack. I went to the doctor to try to see if we could get rid of this cough I've had for 4 weeks. But in order to talk to the doctor about anything you have to have your blood pressure taken.

Mine was 240/150. She told me I was not allowed to leave except by ambulance. I begged to get my husband to come take me and it was agreed upon under the condition that we go straight to the ER. They asked all kinds of questions, took an EKG, took blood, and eventually did an angiogram...yeah, I was like, am I 70 or what? It all came back fine, but I had mentioned the fact that I've had some killer stones before so the very smart ER doctor sent me for a CAT scan of my head (just in case) and my abdomen. I'm sorry to have to use this kind of slang, but they were totally like, "Dewdette! You have some huge kidney stones in there!"

After 4 days in the hospital, having angiogram, EKGs, blood work twice a day, 2 IV's, being kept in critical care unit, they did decide that the high blood pressure was caused by the stones. Then I had a laser treatment for the stones. And also trials and observations on which kindS of meds they wanted to put me on for blood pressure (slightly high normally) and cholesterol (again slightly high).

If you don't feel sorry for me and aren't cringing in your computer chair by now, you are heartless and should immediately quit reading my blog (like say if you're my mean cardio doc).

I came home yesterday. Apparently no one did a very good job of informing my kids that I wasn't going to die because that is what they all thought. I had several tear soaked hugs. By the way, no one else (including Charles and I) knew exactly WHAT was happening, so there is no one to fault. And my dear dear husband stayed with me through the long days and 2 long nights of being in the hospital in critical care. And my younger sister stayed in the evening with my children, made sure they had yummy suppers and that the little one took her shower. My older sister stayed in the hospital with me for a day and a night and every time I coughed (the cough was neglected by all doctors and staff) she sat up and said "Are you alright? Do you need something?" It got quite comical. It was such a comfort, you just can't even imagine! Of course other visitors came too and a woman from our church was in the room just down the hall fighting her own battle. God bless us every one!

But there were dinners in the fridge and shortly on our table (Cheryl's chicken pot pie cures all) and I have a new plush toy type of heating pad (the only true way to manage stone pain) and I was able to sit up and be around my kids and husband all evening yesterday.....memories of the hospital only remaining as a sore body, arms that look like a junkie, and little tapes I keep pulling off during the day.

....oh and the pain of finely lasered stones filtering down through my body making me love my cute heating pad all the more and my family infinitely.

And now....I can just say 'refer to the blog' when people ask me what happened. This will be much more convenient than the full body tattoo I was going to have done explaining it for me. ;)


Cheryl said...


So glad you are home and hopefully on the mend. Thanks for sharing in your blog what you have been through this week. Know our love and prayers are with you. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need ANYTHING!!! Love you, Cheryl

joannmski said...

Scary!!! I wonder if you took cold medicine that also made your BP go up? I know that DH has to have a cold medicine that is special so that it doesn't affect his BP...

Anyway, I am so glad that you are safe and on the mend. I sure wish I could bring you a nice casserole!

Taylor said...

wow Christy I am so happy that u r back home and healing with it family. My prayers were and still are with u. Love u mucho!!!! :)

Alida said...

I am so glad that you are home now!! I will have to let Tom read this so I don't have to answer all of his questions... he can still feel pain on one side if he doesn't get enough to drink!!

Lanell said...


So sorry you have had so many problems, and thanking God he is healing you. If you are feeling better go to http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/landlgreer/ and see what i got for my birthday this year. Best birthday in the world. Yep, I'm a grannie, Savannah Grace, 6 lbs 11 oz, and a head full of black hair. Email me if you feel like it, I'd love to hear from you!

Take care and I will be saying prayers for you.

Lanell said...

Yes, Savannah was born on my birthday. Wednesday 2/18. 52 years young with my first grandbaby girl. Thank you for the comment, I am content. I was about to go into a depression because I am really missing my daddy now, as you know though, God is so good, he sent Savannah to brighten my days. Honestly, I believe she may look like daddy. She certainly has his dark hair and skin.

Love you

RL said...

Christie - I'm sooo glad you're doing better. You had us all worried. Our prayers are with you as you continue to mend. Thankfully you had a cough that got you to the doctor! Love ya, Rea-Lynne