August 9, 2005

Coming home



I’m home now! Two days of being home is not enough to let it all soak in again. For a month now we’ve been away….vacation, then me in Phoenix helping my parents and Charles visiting his family in Oklahoma, then youth camp. I felt like I was never going to get back to normal! (no comments from the peanut gallery on the normal thing. I mean normal for me.) This was also our first Sunday back since Charles went on sabbatical a month ago. So today was really the first ’normal’ day we’ve had back at home for the past month. It’s niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Traveling is wonderful, I love it, but coming home afterwards is so comforting.

I love being US
With U


These are the words on my birthday card from my husband. Very simple words, but they speak deeply to my heart. I was in Phoenix on my birthday this year….last Thursday, August 4. I was sorely missing being home and being with Charles and my kids. The words on the card made me smile and tears well up in my eyes at the same time.

Under the printed words were Charles’ handwritten words….”being with you is being home.” It’s a recurring theme in our relationship. We have a song by Michael Card we have claimed for years called Home…..’with you I’m right at home’….I have been trying to find the lyrics for this song online and in my tape/cd collection, but I give up. At least the tapes and cd’s are organized and the old decrepit ones are thrown out! I kept my old Randy Stonehill, teenaged Amy Grant and White Heart though. (Remember Silverwind? I don’t either! But I have one of their tapes…hmmm.)

Here are the lyrics I do remember from the song…or maybe a slightly paraphrased version of the original…..

“Home is a comfort…home is a light ….a place to leave the darkness outside. Home is a peaceful and ever full feeling. A place where your heart longs to be….etc” Maybe my husband…..a more detail person than me…will send us the lyrics as he remembers them when he reads this….?

Home is a good thing. Everyone needs a home-base, whether it is a place or a person. We’ll never really be at home though until we’re at home with the Lord. There is a longing inside of us that will finally be satisfied…just like we long to be home at the end of a long trip….when we reach Heaven. Jesus has been preparing it for us for over 2,000 years! He only spent 6 days on creating this planet we now call home. Can you just imagine what it will be like? And though it sounds so far off, like a fantasy to us now, when we arrive there, it will be like the feeling we get when we come home after being gone for weeks or months…..something inside us relaxes and feels settled again. Maybe it’s that ever full feeling?



2 Peter 3:13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.


Ps…my apologies to Michael Card….=)

No comments: