January 27, 2005

Flying away....

The news today was not good...my husband's father is dying. He is in a semi-coma....emphysema complicated pneumonia, on hospice care at home....sedated now and comfortable, waiting to fly away to his true home. This life is fragile, frail....like leaves ready to fall at any moment. I am reminded of this frailty every time someone I know passes away...just as profoundly, I then forget and live my life in a very silly way...thinking of life as a long drawn out thing, all the time in the world, when in reality we are very temporary here on earth.

Talking to my dad on his birthday a couple weeks ago, he was expressing the same kind of thought. As he was opening his birthday cards he couldn't hold back the tears, thinking about how his life had flown by so quickly. My mom wrote the most poignant note in her card, the words wrapping up their first days together as young 19 and 20 year olds and then through their life to today as seniors, spending their days quietly going about a very small routine, but still so important to and dependent on each other.

It's part of life....death is....a confusing, scary part....but necessary for us all unfortunately. I'm glad he is comfortable and that my mother in law has a nurse there with him so that she won't be alone when he takes flight....and he will...and he'll be free....


Some glad morning when this life is o'er, I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away.

When the shadows of this life have grown, I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown, I'll fly away.

Just a few more weary days and then, I'll fly away;
To a land where joys shall never end, I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O glory, I'll fly away;
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by, I'll fly away.

No comments: