January 27, 2014

Filled to the measure

Fullness sounded like such a great word a few weeks ago.

Then I was listening to or reading something about 2 weeks ago....I can't remember where... I was instantly taken away in thought about it. The thought was that in order to be filled with one thing you have to be empty of all else.

If a cup is full of water, that means there is no tea in it. It is filled with water.

I realize of course, that this will not be easy. The emptying has begun and it seems to be emptying through my eyes. Leaking, pooling, downright weeping. No point in wearing eye makeup these days. I'm being emptied.



Paul asked God to bless his friends with the fullness of God.
  
For this reason I kneel before the Father,   
from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.  
 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you 
with power through his Spirit in your inner being,   
 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. 
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  
 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, 
to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,   
and to know this love that surpasses knowledge

—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:14-19


I love that.  I guess I still think it's a great word. 

And then he concluded the prayer with this:

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine
according to his power that is at work within us,   
to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus 
throughout all generations, for ever and ever! 
Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

For His glory, according to His power, immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine.....throughout all generations. Forever.


I may have to buy stock in the Kleenex tissue company.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Trying to get ahold of you guys.

~mic

Pastor.smrhoads@gmail.com