September 13, 2011

Big Soft Ginger Cookies....and dumplings

I signed up to make dinner last night for a church member who had her ankle reconstructed. Chicken and dumplings and soft ginger cookies.

I got there and she was so glad someone brought a dinner. She said "Oh that is so nice. I'm so glad I don't have to eat chicken and dumplings another day." I guess someone else made them for her on Saturday and she's been eating the leftovers.

Uh...well....

After I told her I brought chicken and dumplings, we laughed. She was embarrassed and I was laughing.

I thought that was such a nonstandard dish to bring someone, but she said I had brought chicken and dumplings to someone else once (I must block these things from my mind...I have no recollection) and she tasted it and really liked it. At that time she had told me that chicken and dumplings were her favorite meal and she just never made them for herself so she hadn't had them in years.

Well, how do you explain that?? We decided that it was in my subconscious somewhere and that caused me to make them for her.

So funny though, how your subconscious can boss you around like that. Things like that always happen to me!

The ginger cookies were so good, they are all gone! Here is the recipe. It makes a neat 3 dozen 2 inch cookies.

Big soft ginger cookies

Ingredients

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup margarine, softened
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 2 tablespoons white sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

5 comments:

Kismint said...

Ah, Those darn subconsciouse!
...Always letting you know who's in charge! =)

Those ginger cookies sound sooo good...

-Plink.

Susannah said...

Laughing all the way through your post... still laughing. You tell such a funny story, Christie!

Yum, soft ginger cookies. Thanks for the recipe. It must have been in your subconcious that I really really, love ginger cookies. Really! LOL.

((Hugs))

crickl's nest said...

Kate, I think I am especially susceptible to subliminal, subconscious situations. (which was an alliteration) Charles calls me psychological. (which is a teasing insult usually)

e-mom, thanks! I will have to bring you some ginger cookies 'next time'. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Susannah said...

Hey Christie girl! I linked to this post at Chrysalis today. And yes, I'll take your ginger cookies any day. ((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

When my son was in a car accident, everyone brought spaghetti. We ate a constant diet of it for about two weeks.

One of his friends came over and he said, "Hey, Matt, wanna stay for dinner? _____________bringing it and it's probably spaghetti." It was. We all had a laugh over it. Matt called every night to see what kind of spaghetti we were having. It was great comedic relief.